Entering University in Spain

Entering University in Spain

Posted on 08 Apr 2014 Views ( 1298 )

Spanish Universities are highly competitive to secure an admission as there are very less places available for International students to study.

A percentage of places at most universities, are allocated to International and non-EU students. Generally, qualifications those are accepted in a student's home country are accepted in Spain as well.

Applications must be submitted to universities and addressed to the student secretariat (vice-rectorado de alumnos).

Spanish Universities accept British A-levels as an entrance qualification, but they won’t accept an American high school diploma. For that American students have to spend two years at college or they should hold a B.Sc, BBA or B.A degree.

For information about the recognition of EU diplomats in Spain, contact the Ministerio de Educación y Cultura, Subdirección General de Cooperación Internacional, Centro de Información sobre Reconocimiento de Títulos y Movilidad de Estudiantes, C/Alcalá, 34, 28014 Madrid (917-018 000, www.mec.es).

Students with Non EU qualifications need to have them accepted by a process known as homologation or convalidation by the Spanish Department of Education and Culture in Spain. Non EU students require a thorough knowledge of Spanish, although preparatory courses are provided.

Note that in autonomous regions where there’s a second official language (e.g. the Basque Country, Catalonia and Galicia), courses may be conducted in the local language.


Spanish Ministry of Education and Science sets university fees in most regions. In autonomous regions, it’s the local regional government and the University council who sets it annually. Private universities under the auspices of the Catholic Church set their own fees.

Scholarships and Grants are available to both Spaniards and foreign students and one in seven students receive a grant although grants are relatively far between.

Spanish university fees are low for residents and EU nationals. The amount varies in the different universities, but here is an example of tuition fees:

- EUR 7.17 - 16 per credit if it's your first enrollment;

- EUR 8.20 - 17.56 per credit if it's the second time you enroll in a course;

- EUR 10.24 - 20.75 per credit if you have to enroll three or more times in a course.

A Bachelor's program comprises almost 60 credits per year and is worth 180 credits in total. A Master of Science program also amounts 60 credits per year and is worth 240 credits.

A Masters program is usually 60-80 credits whereas a Doctoral program takes 80 credits. The fees for Doctoral programmes and Master programmes are 30.72-63 and EUR 15.36 - 37.24 respectively.

If you live permanently in Spain and plan to study in another EU country such as Britain, you aren’t required to pay tuition fees, but won’t be eligible for a living expenses grant.